Police Department – Town of Deerpark

  • Chief of Police: Richard J. Sztyndor
  • Mailing address: P.O. Box 621, Huguenot, NY 12746
  • Physical address: Building # 2, 231 Rt. 209, Huguenot, NY 12746
  • Non or Emergency Phone: 845-856-4333
  • locally Dial: 911
  • Fax: 845-856-5512


Any request for a police incident report or an accident report must to be directed through the Town Clerk’s office, 420 Route 209, Post Office Box 621, Huguenot, New York 12746. Please provide as much information as possible to help expedite your request. The telephone number is (845) 856-2210 extension 2. A fee as permitted by law may apply to cover the cost of copying the document. All fees are collected and paid through the Town Clerk’s office. The police department does not directly accept any fees. That law requires a response to your request within five (5) business days when made pursuant to the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and either the document(s) must be provided, denied or a reasonable time frame provided when the documents might be available or denied.

  • It is important to note that the desired information may be protected and not able to be disclosed. Particularly if an arrest has not been made, a suspect or person being interviewed is not entitled to know the identity of the complainant. Even a victim is not arbitrarily entitled to all details contained in a report. An attorney or judge might otherwise be required to subpoena the information.
  • There are many privacy issues where the names of assistant district attorneys, police officers, victims, witness, complainants and other persons interviewed can be redacted. Police techniques and certain actions can be redacted. The Civil Rights Law forbids the release of information concerning victims of sex crimes. A person’s right to privacy might very well outweigh a person’s right to know. Similarly, even police officers are not informed the identity of the caller that might report an alleged incident to the state’s Child Abuse Hotline. Social service agencies such as welfare cannot even provide information on their clients to police unless the crime is directly related to that agency function. Even when an arrest is made, the defendant is not necessarily entitled to the identity of the victim, witness, etceteras unless the identity of the victim, witness, etceteras had been contained in the accusatory instrument needed to arraign the defendant. Due process must take place and the information may otherwise become available through discovery proceedings or other judicial settings
  • The Criminal Procedure Law provides that records relating to matters wherein a person is acquitted should be sealed and not disclosed. Wherein, as many cases, a person was not charged with the commission of a crime or offense and the legal opinion provided to the department, it is protected from disclosure.
  • Generally a minimum of five (5) business days are needed for the processing, review and administrative approval of a Police Accident Report, Form MV104A.
    Inquiries regarding any traffic summons or other court matter must be directed through
    the court. Justice Osowick can be reached at (845) 856-2210 extension 8 and Justice
    Wulff can be reached at (845) 856-2210 extension 7. The court address is 420 Route
    209, Post Office Box 621, Huguenot, New York 12746.
  • CRIME VICTIM ASSISTANCE: You may be eligible for compensation from the New York State Crime Victims Board for items such as ”lost wages, medical expenses, counseling, funeral expenses, essential personal property, occupational rehabilitation, moving expenses or crime scene cleanup”. Police and District Attorneys can help protect you against harassment and intimidation. Information brochures and information cards may be found at every police station, precinct house or any location in New York State where a crime may be reported. Compensation applications might also be available at those locations. Applications are also available on-line.
  • The Orange County Crime Victims Assistance Program can assist with:explanation of
    court proceedings, referral to agencies for emotional support and assistance,
    preparation of Crime Victim Impact Statements for the court presenting the victim’s
    views regarding sentencing and restitution. They may also assist with accompaniment
    to court, to a police station, to the district attorney’s office, for Grand Jury testimony.
    They can also assist with Domestic Violence Crisis Intervention, preparation of Family
    Offense Petitions for Family Court, and assistance in filing compensation claims with the
    N.Y.S. Crime Victims Board for eligible medical, counseling and out-of-pocket expenses.
    Further information can be found on the State’s Web site at – www.cvb.state.ny.us. You
    may also call 1-800-247-8035 or TTY at 1-888-289-9747. The County’s Middletown
    office telephone number is (845) 346-1201 and the Goshen office telephone number is
    (845) 291-4780 while the Family Court Unit telephone number is (845) 291-4015.
    Orders of Protection and Temporary Orders of Protection as known in New York State
    and Restraining Order as known in other jurisdictions are not issued by a police officer or
    police department, those orders can only be issued by the Courts.
  • Police can sometimes assist in acquiring an order, provided an offense is already filed or
    the request accompanies an information or complaint to be filed with the local criminal
    court. A police officer may be required to serve upon the defendant or respondent, a
    duly issued Order of Protection or Temporary Order of Protection.
  • A local criminal court justice (Town Justice) can only issue an order of protection or a
    temporary order of protection that is based on an offense filed in his or her court. The
    victim of the offense need be the requesting party or the parent or guardian of a child
    and the child is a victim but other exceptions may apply, including when a local criminal
    court justice is acting as a superior court justice. There may also be restrictions that do
    not allow a local criminal court justice the ability to issue a protection order. A local
    criminal court justice at his or her own discretion can issue an order of protection or
    temporary order of protection without the consent of the victim.
  • A superior court judge can issue an Order of Protection or a Temporary order of
    protection even when an offense has not been filed in their Court. These offenses are
    usually family matter such as a domestic incident and are commonly issued by the
    Family Court. The process begins at the Probation Intake Unit, 255-275 Main Street,
    Goshen, New York 10924, where they will assist in the processing of the required
    documents. They can be reached at (845) 291-4750.
    Safe Homes of Orange County is a private, non-profit agency dedicated to providing
    confidential assistance to victims of domestic violence and their children. They offer a
    24 hour Hotline as well as shelter, advocacy, accompaniment, support groups, individual
    support as well as information and referral. Their main office is in Newburgh but there is
    an office locally in the City of Port Jervis. They can be reached by calling toll free 1-888-
    503-HOPE (4673).
    Any questions concerning convicted sex offenders that reside or
    work locally should be directed to (845) 856-4333. Additional information
    on any convicted sex offender registered in New York State can be found at –
    During the late 1990’s the police department was the recipient of a mountain bike from a
    generous local benefactor. Since that time police bicycle patrols were sparse due to
    training requirements but patrols were nevertheless activated from time to time. Due to
    their stealth abilities officers were able to apprehend individuals charged with committing
    narcotic and other offenses in progress without detection of the officer until it was too
    late. In 2008 the department now has on staff 2 full-time police officers and 1 part-time
    police officer trained. While the Town of Deerpark is largely undeveloped, clustered
    communities do exist that warrant and enable the use of police mountain bikes for
    patrols. Patrols will be more frequent but in addition to the officer’s other duties, will be
    activated based on officer availability, weather conditions and other factors.
  • Because of a seemingly large number of complaints against all terrain vehicle operators
    and incidents involving all terrain vehicles including accidents, the Town of Deerpark
    during late 2006 purchased 2 model year 2007 Yamaha 660 Grizzly all terrain vehicles
    for its police department. The Town has its own local law concerning the operation of all
    terrain vehicles. Besides being used for patrol purposes and apprehending violators, the
    specialty vehicles will also be used for search and rescue efforts and in conducting
    criminal investigations as may be needed. During 2006 and 2007 the department
    trained and equipped 8 of its police officers, having attained an Emergency Vehicle
    Operation Course training presented by the New York State Department of
    Environmental Conversation police. During 2005 a serious flood devastated the Town of
    Deerpark that required the police department to seek assistance from 10 other law
    enforcement agencies that provided ATV patrols to portions of the town and that
    showcased another need for the Town of Deerpark to acquire units of its own.
    (845) 856-6500 New York State Police
    (845) 291-2050 Orange County District Attorney’s Office
    1-800-227-0028 Orange County Sheriff’s Office
    (845) 856-5101 City of Port Jervis Police Department
    (845) 291-2332 Orange County Health Department
    (845) 291-2600 Orange County Department of Mental Health
    (845) 858-1400 Orange County Probation Department, Port Jervis office
    (845) 858-1420 Orange County Department of Social Services, Port Jervis office
    (845) 291-2800 Orange County Department of Social Services, Adult & Children Services
    (845) 291-3000 Orange County Government